Monday, March 22, 2010

Completely Shelled


(Still looks like Winter but its actually 70+ degrees outside)

Having been in the base-building phase for about 2 months now I wanted to spend the last week of training with some added intensity while staying consistent. I've been backing off on running a bit to focus on swimming/biking/weight training/proper dieting/yoga and was finally ready to bring it all full circle.

The training week started well enough but I could definitely tell that the workouts were leaving me more spent than usual. Wednesday was such a nice/warm day in Boston that I tacked on a quick 10 min run in my Vibrams before hopping on the bike. Being the first time this year running in Vibrams, I forgot how much this takes out of my legs.

After a 7.5 mi run on Thursday (it was a struggle to run this far after Wednesday's Vibram run), I woke up Friday feeling like I'd run a marathon...just completely wasted. Knowing the weekend would be beautiful (70-75 deg), I rested up Friday and got ready for a 50 mi ride on Saturday. The day was as good as advertised...sunny/hot. As you can see from the pic, we still have some flooding from last week's storms but it was fun biking through freezing cold pond water since it was so warm outside. Once again I woke up the next day feeling pretty weak so we made it a recovery day and will start the new week's workouts today instead of Tuesday.

As a random side note, I am now officially registered for the 2010 NYC Marathon...I can't wait!

No comments: