Thursday, January 27, 2011

Like Old Times


Nothing like a little winter weather to make training more interesting. While the news wass busy with its weather-related doom and gloom, I figured I'd head out for 30+ min run and then head to the Y for a swim...luckily, ours was the only Y that didn't close early for snow.

As discussed in earlier posts, this year was really strange for me in terms of training. I never found a good rhythm and then basically shut down everything but running after August. As a result, heavy training has been a nice slap in the face...I've spent the past few weeks (and will continue for another 1.5 months) of nothing but base building. Plus I've added in consistent weight training for the first time which may or may not last b/c my muscles are completely spent by the time I get to swim/bike/run.

The biggest hurdle so far has been swimming. Always my weakness, coupled with hiding from the pool for months, I was a little nervous to do my T-test. This is used as a base 100m time for training: to determine we swim 3x300m w/ 30 sec rests and then average the times. While training for IMLP in 2008, my t-time was 1:53. This time around I'm untrained, sore from lifting, and swam the 1st 300m too hard and posted a t-time of 2:07...not good.

The good news is its early. But I have a long ways to go and think a private swim lesson may be needed to help me improve since this is the only leg of triathlete that I haven't significantly improved in since 2008. I guess its good that my swim focus started this week!

No comments: