Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Health Net Oly Race Report (justin)

Big thanks to Jen, Kyle, Leslie, Haley and Jillian for providing a cheering crew. You were easily the loudest and most motivating fans on the course.

Liz and I completed this race last year and both were left with a bad taste in our mouths- I got 4 flats on the bike and was one more issue away from being a DNF and Liz had some course issues. But the race is well put together and beautiful so we figured we'd come back to finish the race on a high note. So on to the race...

Swim: 41:35

Absolutely horrendous swim...embarrassing. It will serve as a nice slap in the face to get to the pool for every workout until Lake Placid. I won't even bother with more detail.

T1: 1:48

First wetsuit race of the year so it took a little longer to strip off the wetsuit.

Bike 1:10:33 (19.6 mph)

The bike course is really hilly, so the variation in speed is huge. I think I was going 7mph on one of the uphills and hit 38mph on the down. I would have loved to have averaged 20mph for the first time in a race but was still pretty pleased with my finishing time. Since we didn't taper, my legs weren't as fresh on the hills but I still felt like I had enough for a strong run.

T2: 1:06

I forgot socks which was not a good thing.

Run: 47:54 (7:43 min/mile)

I hit the run with a purpose. Liz and Courtney's wave started 10 minutes ahead of me so I used being behind as motivation. While its inevitable that Liz will beat me in a race soon (she's getting too fast not to), I'm not going to give in without a fight. Once again the course is really hilly so the run wrecked my quads. It also meant my feet slid around in my shoes (remember no socks) to the point that I lost a lot of skin- 3 days later I still can't walk without some pain. But fear of losing forced me to keep my pace and it turned out to be a new PR for an Oly-distanced run.

Final Time: 2:42:58

From here until Lake Placid, its straight training. I need to learn to love the pool for the next month. My current swim efforts won't get me through the ironman...

No comments: