Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Training in Lake Placid

This past weekend Justin and I drove up to Lake Placid to train on the course with Joey & crew – 1 MONTH AWAY, BABY!!!!!

In my opinion, this weekend was key for a successful race day. The intimidation of not knowing the course is now non-existent. I no longer have the doubt of whether I can do it or not. Now, it’s just a matter of in what time (which I’m just looking to finish, not win)! Lake Placid was filled with athletes training for the Ironman – it was kind of cool to be surrounded by it all already, I feel like half the people doing the race were there this weekend.

Saturday started with some coffee and breakfast and then it was out the door for a 112 mile bike ride. The weather was not cooperating as it was on and off showers all day with a few glimpses of sun. Jus and I were not looking forward to rainy weather on a hard training weekend but we looked at the positive – we now know how to take on the course if this year’s race weather repeats last years (but I really, really hope it doesn’t!). I felt strong on the bike and was feeling good about it after the first lap – ah… just have to do that all over again! Second lap was just as good and I left the bike with confidence.

After the bike, Jus and I changed into some dry running clothes and headed out the door for an 8 mile run. The sun was shining when we left and it was nice to feel the warmth, finally. We headed 4 miles from the start of the run and back which included the killer hill that we had not known about. This was an extra bonus to help add pain to our legs! On our way back into town, more clouds came rolling in and the last 2 miles were in downpours. A warm shower and well deserved dinner finished the day.

Sunday morning the sun was out and I was looking forward to a day outside. The group headed into town for some breakfast and then split for training. Joey, Jus and I trekked down to Mirror Lake for a 2.4 mile swim. Ugh. We floated out to the pier to where the official start of the swim is… started the watch and off we went. Joey pulled away early as Justin and I stuck together for the majority of the way… headed to the beach at the end of the first lap, ran the beach and back in the water we went. I did the second loop 2 minutes slower than the first, Justin did it faster. The swim didn’t leave me feeling too great – but in general I have been bummed about it. I just can’t seem to get into it.

Back to the house to change and all three of us were out for a long run. I mentally prepared myself for the entire loop of the run, apparently somewhere in conversation Joey and Jus agreed on skipping the out and back. The run course is “easy” enough, but I can see the long stretch out of town and back being long, tough and lonely. We all held up well and with 2 miles left back into town, two ladies rescued us by letting us fill up on water at their athlete water stop. After I split from Joey and Jus, I hoped in Mirror Lake at the end of the run to cool down. I stumbled back to the house, showered and packed up. We grabbed a quick lunch and some FroYo in a waffle cone at Ben & Jerry's (YUM!) and headed back to Boston.

The race is coming up way too quick!!!!!

View of Lake Placid:

Again, sacrificing good tan lines for tri:

A sign on the run course that made me laugh:

Packed up and ready to go:

2 comments:

Joe said...

Geez, that one picture with 4 bikes looks like a Cervelo ad or something.

You guys are gonna crush the race, don't even worry about it. And when you're all done and both ironmen, be sure to let me know how "easy" the run course was on the 2nd loop. hahaha

Court said...

That sign is hilarious!!

And Joey looks very tired in the last picture... :(

This weekend must've been a huge confidence boost for race day! I can't wait for it! As a busy spectator with the video camera, of course. =D I'm crossing my fingers for good weather!!!!!!!