Thursday, December 3, 2009

Transition from Laziness (justin)

Its been a lot harder than expected to get back into serious training mode. To start at a level of absolute apathy and move back into an everyday training schedule has caused my mind/body to riot. Trying to go straight from the couch to 6 days a week wasn't working so well so I decided to make it more of a slow transition.

During Ironman training, I followed a hardcore nutrition and training regimen and am slowly reintroducing those things back into daily life. My diets not perfect yet and I definitely haven't been doing every workout on the schedule but each week (for the last month) I've gotten a little better. With about 1 month to go before the Goofy Challenge, I'm ready to jump in head first. I picked up some new running kicks (Mizuno Wave Elixir 4s) which are more minimal than I'm used to- I can tell a big difference with these shoes and am definitely more conscious of my stride. While there is a decent amount of cushioning in the heel, I get sharp pains when I let my stride breakdown and it forces me to correct my stride. I've also been consistently using a Trigger Point foot roller that helps with my arches (Plantar Fascitis) and a foam roller for my leg muscles. I'm hoping this prevents my usual injuries and helps with recovery. With 37 days till the Goofy Challenge, I'll take any advantage I can get.

2 comments:

Liz said...

The best thing is to be smart and listen to your body (including your foot and knees!). It's always hard getting back into the swing of things but you've been through that before and know you'll get back into it slowly but surely.

The goofy challenge will be hard for sure, but you're going to do great! Plus, I'm not racing ya so you have no need to worry about going super fast ;)

Court said...

I'm so jealous of your orange sneakers! :)