Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dust it off

After agreeing to one more bad meal this past weekend, Justin and I are starting to kick things back into gear. It’s time to start training, eating healthy and getting our minds back into racing and the upcoming season.

To be quite frank, I’ve taken this recovery too far. I ran the Baystate Marathon back in October and went into recovery. OK, that’s normal. The only problem is, is that I stayed in that recovery straight through training for the Disney Challenge and here we are today, in, you got it, a recovery. I am tired of being lazy, convincing myself out of workouts and telling myself one more bad meal isn’t gonna hurt. The weight of last year's endless training is still with me, I suppose.

But, I have some big goals I'd like to achieve this year which means I need to get my mind in line now. My work now will pay off in the end.

Justin and I dusted off our QT2 nutrition plans from last year and reviewed our old food logs. We sat down and planned our meals for the week before making a trip to the grocery store. We have some oldies we're bringing back into the mix. Last night we had shrimp and crab salad. I'm still trying to get over how gross it is to eat crab (yuk) but I ate it nonetheless cause it's healthy. If I can learn to love salmon (which I do), I can learn to love crab.

We've also both started a new food log because these seemed to really work well for us last year in kicking our diet in shape. We'll stop the food logs when we feel things are back on track. Yesterday I consumed about 1,600 calories, which on a non-workout day, is 300 calories too many. Yes, 300 too many. However, this is ok. We're giving ourselves two weeks to get back on the diet and relearn what we should/shouldn't be eating throughout the day. It's strict, but it gets easy and it just makes me feel way better. You in fact end up getting to eat a lot, but eating more goes hand-in-hand with working out more so it's a win-win situation.

Tonight we head to the pool. I don't think..... I.... remember the last time......... I swam. Last year I saw great improvements on the bike. This year, I'd like to see great improvements in the swim. Practice makes perfect.... so let's go practice.

2 comments:

Court said...

What are you training for this year? What are your goals?

Just curious!! :)

Liz said...

Well, I'm focusing on the 1/2 iron distance this season - will be doing several of those races, first of which is the Eagleman 70.3 in Maryland!

As for goals, I have several but the big one is to try and improve my 1/2 iron race time by about 25 minutes!