Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Two days till Disney



In two days I will be racing in the Disney Goofy Challenge (13.1 miles on Saturday, 26.2 miles on Sunday). Jus and I fly out on Friday with time to settle in, get some grub and relax before calling it an early night.

I’ve become too comfortable in my off-season laziness and have had a tough time coming out of hibernation. I have had zero motivation to train for the Goofy Challenge and I think it’s because I wanted to take full advantage off the off-season before ramping up to start training once again for the 2010 season. My goal for this weekend is to just finish both races. I am in no condition to run these miles but we’ll see what strings I can pull to get through it. I do not want to hurt myself so early on so I’ll be taking it nice and easy. I have no real plan – I won’t be wearing a watch. I’m going to listen to my body and give the race what my body has to give. I have a sneaking suspicion that I’ll be pacing 10:30 min/mile, it’s just my guess, I could be wrong.

My sister Courtney is running the half on Saturday. My brother Joey and also Justin are doing the Goofy Challenge as well. My sister Jenny will be cheering us on : )

I am debating on whether I want to wear earphones. My music has been driving me crazy lately, mostly because I am tired of the songs on my shuffle but also because my shuffle tends to repeat a lot of songs and every time it repeats a song I heard 10 minutes earlier, I get just a little closer to throwing it on the ground and stomping it to pieces (ha ha). I don’t like listening to other people’s breathing and pounding feet which is why I always choose to wear earphones in the end. I prefer not listening to music, but there are pros and cons to everything, I guess.

I’m hoping some of those Disney characters can pull me through this weekend. Come on Mickey.

3 comments:

Court said...

A 10:30 mile? We'd be able to stick together for, like, the first 2 miles, hahahaha. :) I'm hoping to keep my pace somewhere around an 11 minute mile. Boston was a 12 minute mile, so I think I'll be able to do it considering there are no hills in this 1/2. :)

I understand your frustration with music, I just downloaded a bunch of music last week to change up my playlist - you should throw in a few new songs. Can't you set your shuffle to play the songs in order instead of "shuffling" them? Anyway - I'd recommend Passion Pit's "Sleepyhead"... maybe "For Your Entertainment" by Adam Lambert... I'm really excited to listen to my playlist on race day!

I bought my race shirt(s) and gloves today. Now I just need to find an ear-muff that is comfortable and cheap. Are you ready to bundle up?

SEE YOU IN DISNEY WORLD!!!!! (Though it won't feel like we left the Northeast!)

(wow, I wrote a book on your blog - sorry)

Liz said...

Oh my gosh courtney! Do you realize that I've heard that song "sleepyhead" on the commercial and every time i hear it I think "i want to know that song is, i like it!" but there are never any words to pick up on to google it. You just made my day!!! HAHA! Love it!

I am going crazy... I read your comment and then googled the song and wrote "puffy eyes" TWICE before I had to go back and re-read your comment to figure out the right name of the song.

I'm ready for the cold.. nothing, and I mean NOTHING could be as bad as the Baystate Marathon was - I was MISERABLE.

Court said...

Hahaha... I felt the same way! I LOVED the song on the commercial but didn't know it was an actual song until I magically came across it in iTunes. :) Glad I made your day :)