Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Getting Real

I’m starting to get nervous. I’ve been waking up with stomach pains and haven’t been feeling all too hungry. It seems the thought of Ironman is consistently in the back of my mind and now that the “hard” training has come to an end, it’s starting to seem all too real. Before it was just training, now it’s the real deal. There is nothing I can do from this point on that will prepare me more for Ironman than what I’ve done in the last 7+ months.

I’ve gone back to the start of this blog to see the post that Jus and I have written during our training and it brings back a lot of memories from this past year. I wonder how I ran 16 miles on snow covered grounds or better yet, how I rode for hours in the cold while my toes and fingers felt like they could snap right off. I’m amazed at how I managed to make a drastic change in my diet – no sandwiches for lunch, candy for snacks, cereal for breakfast, no this and no that and everything in between…. WHAT?!! I have sacrificed time with my family and friends… all for this one race. I have woken up before the sun has risen for a workout and have eaten dinner after my bedtime cause it’s the first moment I get. Not to mention, I have done all this while planning a wedding (which I do not recommend getting married and doing an Ironman in the same year).

It’s been a lot of hard work and a lot of changes and a lot of unwanted sacrifices but here I am. I’m extremely satisfied with the work I’ve put into Ironman. I feel that I am ready (but am I?). At the end of this week I change my diet once again so that I lose 4 lbs by race day. Am I looking forward to it? No. But, it’s just another thing you have to do for Ironman. Until the next post… I’ll be here – doing what I do.

A bonus picture of Jus from last weekend in CT:

5 comments:

Court said...

Just imagine all the delicious food you can start to eat again once the Ironman is finished...

And all the snowy and freezing days that you can PASS on going for a bike ride or run...

And when you come home to visit, you can spend all day at the house...

And when someone calls you after work or on a weekend morning, you'll be home!!!

You can think about all of that to get you through finishing the race! :) =D :P

But, until then, keep up the hard work and great dedication... you're almost an IRONMAN!

CT Mom said...

Liz - Just remember - JOEY himself has said repeatedly that YOU are a threat to the GUYS you train with!! And all the work has made you a healthier, stronger more self-displined person and that translates to all of life.

I just don't agree with the losing four punds. From WHERE?

CT Mom said...

...so that would be "disciplined" and "pounds" .... that from an English major?!

Joe said...

Liz, what you're feeling is totally normal and IS the lure of ironman...the ultimate self-test of 'can I do it'. Self doubt is good, it forces reflection. You can't call yourself an ironman till you're wearing the finisher's medal but in my opinion the ironman title is earned during the training process. It is all those sacrifices you speak of and pushing yourself to the next level, and the next, until you are where you are today that make an ironman. The actual race is just a formality. Trust me, you already did the hard part. The hay is in the barn, you just need lots of rest and an intelligent race plan and you're good to go...you'll crush the day and it will be one of the best days of your life. (Same goes for Justin, in case he's having another self induced heart attack or something...hahahaha)

btw, you're gonna feel sick like that all the way up till the cannon goes off at 7am on July 26th. Then it will get really fun as the race unfolds and you start breaking it down piece by piece.

Rock!

Liz said...

Thanks you guys for the encouraging words! This certainly has been and will be quiet a crazy experience to remember!! :-Z