Friday, July 31, 2009

IMLP Race Report (Justin)

I'll skip the pre-race details since Liz listed everything below. I think we were all fairly relaxed but a little anxious for race day to finally be upon us.

The week before the race, I put together some personal race goals. I felt comfortable that even if I fell short of these times, I'd still be really happy and have a chance of beating Liz and Joey (always fun to have a little competition). Here's what I was hoping for:
Swim- 1:25:00
T1- 0:08:00
Bike- 6:40:00
T2- 0:06:00
Run- 4:30:00
Total- 12:49:00


Race Morning:
B-fast (3am) was 2 hardboiled eggs, a bagel with peanut butter and 2 bananas. An hour before the race I ate a Clif bar. As expected, I didn't sleep much the night before so I got up early and starting all my race day prep. I actually started calming as the race got closer...a resignation that whatever happens, happens and its too late to change anything.

Swim: (1:22:12)
My plan was to start towards the front of the crowd and fight my way to the inside of the buoy line. It actually worked out pretty well and I found some great feet to draft off of. There was definitely a lot of chaos but nothing too bad (pretty sure I cracked someone in the face with my elbow though). I finished the 1st loop in 39 min and change and reminded myself to slow down...it'll be a long day. 2nd loop was thankfully uneventful- I hopped out, found the strippers, and took a slow jog towards the transition.

T1: (6:32)
I guess I was too amped up to realize I was supposed to change in the tent so instead I got ready at the bag rack and moved on. I didn't really have the dizzy feeling I usually get after long swims so I was happy about that.

Bike: (6:31:22)
Pre-race, I decided to break the bike into 4 equal sections. The 1st, I'd go very slow to get my bearings. In the 2nd I'd hold race pace (17.2 was my goal). 3rd I'd go hard and catch all the people starting to fall about and 4th I go just below race pace to prep for the marathon.
The plan worked well until I went to hard in the 2nd section and tried to hold on the 3rd. I had to stop at the turn around for a new timing chip (SUGGESTION: DONT BE NICE AND CHANGE RACE #'S FOR THE ALS GUY!) and was able to catch my breath- 3:04:00 for the first loop. By mile 95 I was starting to hurt and hurt bad. I passed Joey on the Big Bear Hill and was just willing myself to be done with the bike.

T2: (4:30)
At this point I was so 'bonky' that I kept grabbing any solid food I could to replace calories- not caring about the effect it could have on the run. I was also very aware that I was starting the run ahead of Joey and Liz and was now officially the Hunted.

Run: (4:25:44)
Surprisingly felt great to start the run. I kept looking over my shoulders expecting to see the 2 chasers but knew my pace was strong. I finshed the first 13.1 in 2:01:00 and started to feel like just maybe I could do a sub-4 hour marathon. Those thoughts quickly dissipated around mile 15 when the transition food started messing with me. I couldn't eat (stomach made me stop every time I ate), couldn't take gels (threw up) and couldn't really drink (gave me a sick feeling). In my head, it was only a matter of time before getting passed...they could smell blood in the water. Somehow I was able to will my body through the next 10 miles and finish in front. The crowds were unbelievable. They always cheer but when you starting hurting, they go crazy screaming your name and doing everything they can to force you through the next step. It was extremely helpful during those last few miles.

Final: 12:30:19!!!

Thoughts on the race...
A HUGE thanks to everyone who called, texted, and gave their support. As always, Liz's family was incredible throughout the entire race. I'm so happy my mom was able to be there supporting us throughout the week. Everyone's efforts made the race that much more manageable.

My two favorite moments of the entire race were taking in the scene before the swim and the crowd support as I ran up the Sentinel Road hill on the 2nd loop. I don't know if I could have kept going if I had allowed myself to walk at any point during the run and those people are the reason I didn't walk when I wanted to most.

Now Liz and I are taking a week off from being healthy and just enjoying the lack of regimen. I'm already planning my next challenge and what Ironman I'll be doing next...THANKS AGAIN!!!

3 comments:

Court said...

Nice job finishing first... you leave quite the time to beat for the next ironman!

Congratulations, Justin!!! :) YOU'RE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You have earned your bragging rights for Miss Josephine aka Joey (ha ha). All the training paid off and everything came togther, couldn't ask for more than that on race day! Congratulations on becoming an Ironman!
les

Joe said...

Congratulations Justin! You looked strong out there.

Les, 1 win against me could be a fluke...he can call me Josephine when his win column gets larger.