Monday, July 20, 2009

Last Weekend

We are just six short days away from the big day! You bet I am NERVOUS!!!!

This past weekend, Jus and I headed back to Walden Pond for a swim on Saturday and a short bike on Sunday. I know people say to never change anything up in the weeks leading up to a race but I needed new goggles and I didn’t really see what the big deal was… I can try them out Saturday and in Mirror Lake when I get to Lake Placid. Bad idea.

I got a new pair and tried them out on Saturday. The first stretch of the swim my left eye kept filling with water. I tried to fix it once but when it refilled, I was frustrated and decided to just keep swimming with my eye closed. I fixed it when I hit the first turn point where it’s shallow enough to stand. Only to frustrate me more, it refilled during my next stretch to the second turn around point. In an attempt for one last fix I stopped and adjusted the goggles. I drafted off Justin on the swim back to the start and the goggles seemed to have stuck – perfecto! Though, as I crawled out of the water to go grab my old goggles for loop two, my left eye started stinging. I stopped and just held it, tried to tear up to make it feel better and maybe get whatever felt was in it out but no luck. We ended our swim there and picked up some eye drops which help tremendously. On the positive side, we felt great swimming and we both broke this seasons swim times for a 1.5 mile swim which is a good way to end things.

Our ride on Saturday was nice, though nature is against us. For the whole two hours we rode, the sun was beaming down on us, not a cloud in the sky. Once we were done, we headed to the pond to relax a little and try to fix our awkward tans. First off, Walden Pond is a zoo when it’s nice out – police enforcing number of people allowed on the beach and all. Jus and I snuck in on a back trail and hiked around to the beach and found a spot. I’m not kidding though, the very second we sat down, a huge cloud rolled in and many more after that. This is not the first time this has happened - we kid how something or someone is against us. Our stay was short lived, also due to two creepy little girls that just stood and stared at me the entire time we were there. They made me feel really uncomfortable!

The weather for Sunday is looking good, good, good. I just need to make sure I finish before those PM storms roll in! : )

3 days till departure!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz and Justin, just checked the weather report...not looking good, but it's still early on. I'm glad to hear you are feeling things are coming together. Get ready to push and knock down some walls physically and mentally. We are behind you all the way!!!
Les

Liz said...

Thanks Les! Well, as you can see from our many many post...the weather has a way of drastically changing so let's hope for the best now that we are 5 days away. We're excited to see you and the girls this weekend : )

Joe said...

You seem slightly obsessed with the weather forecast. It'll be what it'll be and we'll all be racing in the same conditions. I just hopes it is not raining for our spectators. Seriously though, Lake Placid is some sort of rain forest or something.

Anonymous said...

The girls and I are prepared for rain this time around. We all have ponchos and we are packing warm and cold clothes with extra in my car. We are also wearing better shoes this time, not flip flops. BRING ON THE RAIN we will cheer and smile willing you all through the race!
les

Liz said...

Last year is EXACTLY what i don't want, hence why I am obsessed with the weather.