Monday, September 13, 2010

Our Sunday of fun

The Nation’s Tri was yesterday, here in DC. We had plans to head out for the start of the race and be spectators for a good part of the day with Cork but the rain was coming down and staying in bed sounded a whole lot better. 8:15 rolled around and Jus and I finally woke up. We logged onto the computer to check out how everyone was doing in Rev3 and decided to take a stroll down to the race since the rain had lightened up. After a quick stop at Dunkies, we headed down to the race to find that, at 9:15, wave starts were still going off!! It took over two hours to get all the wave groups out into the water… so crazy, so long (the race started at 7am)! We got to see the last two wave groups start, some stragglers almost swim straight into the rocks on the river line, and then walked the bike/run course around the tidal basin (the long route) to the finish. Rain was on and off the entire time. It was no fun. Once we made it to the finish, we took a seat and cheered on the finishers, one man after another… after another…. after ANOTHER! Where were all the women?! Well, given the first female wave group went off over an hour after the first wave group, I guess it made sense that we weren’t seeing them. By the time they started coming through the finish, we were tired of watching and headed back up to the apartment for a lazy day which included grilled cheese and soup for lunch and a long, much needed nap on the couch. Man, I love weekends.

Congrats to everyone who competed in Rev3 yesterday! You all did an awesome job. AND, way to go Joey for going sub 13, just 2 weeks after IMLOU! So happy we got to see you finish this time on the live camera!!

Some pictures from the Nation’s Tri…

Swim...

Run...

This kid in the mask frightened me.

2 comments:

Court said...

Haha, that kid would frighten me too. What was he thinking wearing that?

I don't know what's worse... the DC triathlon in 97* weather and no shade... or the DC triathlon in the rain. I think I'd prefer the heat.

Liz said...

I think he was trying to scare people at the end to make them sprint to the finish! HAHA. So creepy.

That's a toss up for me.. I hate racing in rain but sometimes the heat can be a real killer. I would prob pick heat over rain though.