Thursday, September 9, 2010

What's with the 3 minutes?

Today was my last long run before Syracuse 70.3 next weekend. I left the apartment at 9am for a 2 1/2 hour run. The second I started running I knew it would be a good run. I felt refreshed (even though I'm not), light and fast. It was quiet on the streets and cool - it was about 72 degrees throughout my run (loved it)! The results, I'm really happy about: 18.4 miles, 2h 33m for an 8:18 min/mile pace with three quick stops for water refills. Last week I did the same run at the same time of day, except it was 90 degrees when I started and mid 90's when I finished. Results from last week: 17.06 miles, 2h 33m for an 8:58 min/mile pace with about 10 stops to cool down/stretch (would have been A LOT slower had I not stopped). It was a TOUGH run for me and I def. struggled through it. Having trained day in and day out in the heat, the run in the cool, crisp air this morning was a nice change and I guess it showed :) I hope it pays off in the marathon and I can do a Boston qualifying time (fingers crossed).

Now here is something I can't figure out. Whenever I go for these long runs, it ALWAYS, ALWAYS takes me exactly 3 minutes longer to run back then it does to run out. It is always 3 minutes to the dot. I find it really interesting, and I guess it shows that I am at least consistent, ha, however slower on the way back! On every long run, I contemplate turning around 3 minutes early at the half way point to factor in this inevitable delay on the second half of the run, but I never do because I convince myself that this time, I'll do an even split, but I never do. Never. At least it stays at 3 minutes and doesn't increase with each week :)

Just a couple more days until I fall into my 1 week taper. Looking forward to Syracuse!

(Pic: Dead tired on the floor post run. Why the peace sign? Cause it's what I always do, unconsciously, at the finish line of races... I never MEAN to do it, I just do it, haha. In fact, when I finish races now, I tell myself over and over as I cross; "don't do the peace sign, don't do the peace sign" haha). Thought it was fitting for my final long run!

4 comments:

Court said...

That is really strange!!! Why'd you sign up for all these races that are hours and hours away? :( I mean, Syracuse, really?? That's like, a 794 hour drive from here!

Jenny said...

You made me laugh...Maybe you should tell yourself "jazz hand, jazz hands" haha!

Court said...

hahaha - "Just Jack!"

Liz said...

Hahahaha... jazz hands or Just Jack might have to make an appearance at my next race just for fun and games from this :) haha