Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Good and the Bad...

So as everyone probably read about, Liz was one of three Danyliw's that completed the NYC Marathon. Unfortunately my season does not end until the Philly Marathon. In my mind I had great dreams about sticking to a very strict training/nutrition regimen and then allowing myself to gorge a little post-race (Thanksgiving the following weekend means I get to eat some pumpkin pie!!!). What I wasn't expecting was a perfect storm of excuses...a really crappy work week, Liz going through her post-race diet of pizza and ice cream, and a very worn out body. Should have seen this coming but I spiraled down into a few missed workouts this week and some excellent, most unhealthy meals.

As soon as I started my 20 miler on Saturday morning I knew last night's dinner of pizza and dessert was a poor choice. Determined to run 8 of the 20 miles at goal pace and 8 at goal pace plus 30 seconds (per my training schedule), I dug deep and pushed through. You'd think living in a city, people would be used to me yelling at my legs to hurry the F* up but apparently I just got a lot of scared looks. Lesson learned though and I'm looking forward to a 2 week taper before the race- I see lots of yoga and healthy food in my near future.

* The one benefit to only running twice last week was my knee finally feels normal again (small concession for such a crap training week).

2 comments:

Joe said...

How you gonna run 3:10 if you turn into a fat bastard? Put the damn cannoli down and eat an apple!

You still aiming for a 3:10?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, turning fat right before a race is never a good idea. As for the 3:10 (7:17 pace)...not gonna happen. I tried running a 7 miler at qualifying pace and fell short with a 7:27 average. I'll give an update when I decide on a final race pace goal but I know its got to be faster than 3h 53m!