Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winter days have got me down

Hi All, Liz here:

I’m in a recovery week, which I couldn’t be happier about. To tell the truth, like Justin said, I feel like I’ve just been going through the motions – somehow doing my workouts, but not quiet sure how I did them. I train hard, that much is true. If I am going to spend my time working out, I’m not going to waste it by not giving it my all. I’m not very tolerant of slacking off. However, lately, when I look back on my previous day’s workout, it seems to be just a daze.

I’ve been logging between 13-14 hrs/week. I wake up at 5:15am to get my long runs in so I don’t have to run late into the dark night; I head straight to the pool after work only to have someone hovering over me the entire time, waiting for me to get out so they can get in, and I have resorted more times than I would have liked to the indoor trainer. I’m finding it even a struggle on the weekends to motivate myself to bundle up and bike outside. I eat dinner late at night and fall asleep shortly after.

I’m not trying to be a downer, but I seem to be stuck in a rut. I’m getting my hours in but that doesn’t mean I’m doing them with a smile on my face.

I’m REALLY sick of winter. I’m ready for spring. The short days suck. I wake up and it’s dark out, I leave work and it’s dark out. I want the sun, I want daylight. I want to run in shorts and soak in warm weather, leave the pool and not freeze on my walk home because my hair is wet and its 26 degrees out, and once again bike without feeling like my nose, fingers, and toes are all going to fall off from frostbite.

I found out yesterday that daylight savings day is March 8th. That’s just over 2 weeks away! I’m looking forward to it being lighter out later. Now, all I want is it to be warm. Then maybe, just maybe, I’ll crack a smile on my face and be back to my normal self.

No comments: