Tuesday, December 16, 2008

cold and windy weekend rides

This past weekend, Justin and I headed to Newport, RI to take care of some much needed wedding planning. We brought our bikes and mapped out a route along the ocean/mansion drive. Newport is beautiful and made for a pleasant ride. If it weren’t for the shore winds and 26 degree temp, I’d say it was perfect. I'm sure we’ll be planning plenty more rides out there as the big day gets closer and we find ourselves there a lot on the weekends. We had to cut our 2 hr ride to a 1:30 because of a late start. We kept a slow pace and I’m learning to keep my HR down and just enjoy the ride. The route was for the most part flat, a couple short hills here and there but nothing too crazy. Occasionally, I found myself struggling to hold even a 13 mph because of the winds. Headwinds know how to make any workout miserable, whether it be biking or running. You don't want to be near me when I'm trying to workout and the winds are holding me in place, I get very very cranky.

Sunday was filled with Christmas shopping and errands. I wanted to do my ride outside but there just aren’t enough hours of sunlight in the day. I hopped on the trainer and rode for 2 hrs. I had every intention to go for 2:30 but I was getting bored and I wanted nothing more than to shower and lounge in my sweats…2 hrs it was. I listened to music the entire time and read up on materials for work. Sounds like fun to me! Check out my exciting view from the trainer.

My company holiday party was last Thursday. I planned to get my swim in that morning but didn’t wake up to my alarm until 6:30am (and it had been going off since 5:40am)! This didn’t allow for time to go to the pool before work which resulted in a missed workout, a total bummer – there is nothing that makes me crazier than missing a workout and I don't know how to handle this yet . . . just let it go, make it up by adding it onto the next day, extend another workout?

This week is a recovery week for me and Justin officially starts training today!

No comments: