Friday, December 5, 2008

No gym for me

(Liz here) Last winter, I spent majority of my workouts at the gym - on the treadmill, in the pool, or in a spin class. Rarely did you see me running or biking outside in the cold, nope, not me. I would come out of hibernation in April, but even then, the outside air felt frigid. This winter, I am tough out of luck - I’ll be doing most of my workouts outside and come April, the air is going to feel like summer ;)

In preparation, my Christmas list is full of winter weather workout gear, and I’ll be making a few purchases myself very soon (it’s getting cold, and getting cold fast). I’m not gonna let the season push me into a crowded gym.

After two swim workouts this past week, I got up this morning and kicked out a 4 mile run in 35 minutes – faster than what I should be doing, but I AM trying to take it easy. It was 33 degrees out and didn’t feel so bad! In fact, I was very comfortable. I ran the Charles River and there were maybe 5 others out running too, not many. I love when it’s empty. When it’s warm out, the Charles River gets crazy. I’ll have to take a before/after picture to show just how crowded and congested it gets. The pic here though is of a sailboat on the CR, decked out in xmas lights with Rudolf leading the way – festive!

I have two bike rides scheduled for this weekend. Nice and easy. Highs for the weekend are in the 30’s, with some possible light snow on Sunday. Hello, Winter!

No comments: