Thursday, January 15, 2009

Little Catch Up

So we've been a little slow in putting up new posts...I'll blame it on reacclimating ourselves with long work hours, long training hours, and still trying to maintain a life. Either way, I have to start off with this pic of Liz picking up her new winter steed. After doing a little research', which pretty much consisted of finding the cheapest bike with decent components that can hold up in a Boston winter, she picked out this beauty- it'll be thrashing through the snow with the best of 'em. She hasn't had the chance to take it out for anything more than a test ride but I'm sure she'll give some reviews once a few rides have been had.

As for training, I've actually come to kind of enjoy the cold weather. With the right gear- finally bought all the essentials- the weather isn't too bad, the trails are clear, and the air seems to be a little fresher. Or at least thats what I tell myself as the frigid air burns my lungs. Last weekend we decided to take off for a little 2 hr ride in the 'burbs. We assumed that since the snow had mostly melted in the city, the neighborhood streets would be mostly clear...we're dumb city folk. The temp was 25 and the wind chill much colder but it was the lack of road shoulders (still piled up with snow) that made the ride so difficult. We maintained high spirits though and being that cold just makes the post-ride coffee and hot lunch that much better. Plus it was sooo nice to ride without being on the trainer.

Last night, Liz convinced me to go for a 75 min run with her before meeting up with some friends for dinner (supposed to do a bike strength ride on the trainer) so she wouldn't have to suffer in the low-teens temps alone. The thought of the weather was much worse than the reailty as the run went really well for both of us. I think not having the pressure of hitting a certain pace or speed make the runs much more enjoyable and I start to look forward to letting my mind wander for an hour.

That's all for now but Liz and I went to a swim clinic last Sunday so we'll be giving the reviews soon.

No comments: