Friday, January 30, 2009

Perfect running form

One thing I need to start working on is my running form. I have always been a runner and I consider myself to be good at it. Before this year, I was running almost every day; I couldn’t get enough of it so it surprises me that I’ve never studied my form before. I just ran.

Last season, in pictures my family took from races, I noticed that I look sloppy when it comes time for the run. I’ve posted 2 pictures taken during the run at the RI 70.3 – look at how uncomfortable I look, esp. my flopped over hand! I don’t even know where my right arm is in that picture, it's non-existent. One goal for this coming season is to run with good form, even when I’m tired. I’ll need proof in the form of a picture, let’s hope I get it.

I bring this up because last night I went for a run and while heading uphill, I thought “I’m so tired, I hurt, I’m uncomfortable” so I took a second and looked at my form and everything was wrong, plain and simple. Yes, my hands were bent way over, very much like I have them in the picture, I was hunched over and my legs were dragging. I had done core excises the night before so my muscles were sore and tight – which is what I think played a big part in my exhaustion. However, tired or not, I shouldn’t let myself continue the habit. I need to start focusing on form because that, as much as anything else, is what will lead me to successful training and racing.

2 comments:

Court said...

Nice goal, Lizzy. I need to work on form, too - I keep my arms too tight against my ribs and crunched up, they always hurt after I finished running. I also don't take a big enough stride (I don't think).

You should videotape yourself running like once a week or every two weeks and compare what you look like to see if you get any progress on that! Or, have Justin pretend to be a spectator somewhere on your course and have him snap photos as you go by, hehe :)

On another note...
I'm a wimp and refuse to run outside in this weather. Kyle scoped out a free treadmill that we will have in our apt on Monday night so I can FINALLY start training!

Anonymous said...

Yea - i'll have to think of some way to monitor my progress in form over the next couple of months other than going to a running clinic - too much money, and, I'm confident this is something I can improve on my own.

Where are you going to fit a treadmill in that apartment of yours??? Nice work by Kyle - you must be happy! It is tough getting out in the cold though with the right clothes and gear it's not so so bad, but i hear ya :) Let me know how the treadmill goes!