Tuesday, April 28, 2009

3 Weeks


First off, congrats to everyone that ran the Leatherman Loop (a local 10k race in Cross River, NY that traverses through creeks, lots of mud, and over some good-sized hills) this past weekend! All 4 of us (Liz, Jen, Courtney, and myself) had great runs on what turned out to be a very hot day- I'll post some pics when available. Liz, Courtney and I all ran this course 2 years ago and had tremendous time improvements at this years race.

Race Results:
Liz: 1:07:26 (good for 4th place in AG)
Jen: 1:09:06 (finished strong in 5th place in AG)
Courtney: 1:31:14
Justin: 0:57:27

During the ride back to Boston, Liz and I started talking about how crazy the next few weeks are going to be. We have 3 graduations, our wedding, Hawaii 70.3, and IMLP training all within the next month (I know there's other stuff too I just don't remember...damn short term memory). While laying out the next few weeks, we realized we only have 3 more weeks of working out before Hawaii (the other 2 weeks are recovery and taper).

That leaves us with only 18 heavy workout days between now and the race- 2 of which are during our wedding weekend). Up until now, our training has consisted of long, endurance workouts. At this point, we can swim for 2.5 miles, run for 20-something miles, and bike well over 100 miles but can we put it all together with some speed? I was fairly spent after the hard effort 10k last weekend- how am I going to fly in hotter weather with open water swim conditions, high winds on the bike, and searing heat during the run!?!

The mayhem starts today with a speed swim and a strength progression bike. Forecast is for 90+ degrees so I may throw in an easy run to complete the trifecta and soak up some of that heat...let's rock.

No comments: