Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Runnin' with some Tunes...


For the last couple of training seasons- this is Justin by the way- I've been hooked to my iPod during workouts. An easy search of google displays all of the research done on the effects of music and exercise: increased endurance, increased adrenaline (can be a really bad thing when going long distances), distraction from fatigue, and increased mental capacity are just a few.

Broken down to a more basic level, certain songs get me fired up to work out...and its not always hard rock/metal. My iPod ranges from rock to techno to pop rap and country. Depending on whether I'm running (rock- love me some Metallica and Drowning Pool though not ashamed to crank up a little Leona Lewis for long runs), biking (techno- usually stick with Tiesto or popular song remixes) or swimming (I listen to country on my way to the pool and sing the songs while swimming) determines the type of music.

Unfortunately, all triathletes know music is not an option during races...makes it a little harder than in marathons where you can blast angry hate music to drown out the pain. So for this year's training I decided I'd skip the music during most workouts. I've found it took some time to get used to- at first I become more aware of all the little aches and pains, I'd get really bored and distracted, and motivation seemed lower. Now, I concentrate more on better form, I have more consistent efforts, and I can actually hear whats going on around me.

Last night, motivation was low and the body was tired so I resorted to a little Three Days Grace: Lets Start a Riot. That always gets the HR up. For those that want to follow the science when picking their songs, here's the suggestions from a performance study:
For a stroll walker going at a pace of around 3 miles an hour, a remixed track has a count of 115 to 118 B.P.M.; for a power walker going 4.5 m.p.h., the count is 137 to 139 B.P.M., while the B.P.M. for a runner elevates to 147 to 160.
The article lays out some of their favorite songs for pace:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/fashion/10fitness.html?_r=2&sc

No comments: