Monday, April 13, 2009

From the Gym to the Outdoors


For the last couple of offseasons, it always takes me a couple of long rides to get used to normal biking outdoors. I think my body gets accustomed to either the indoor trainer- where its always toasty warm- or riding the mt bike at 9 mph in the freezing cold. I've also taken the road bike out some this winter but its usually a really slow, slogging pace. Its make the first ride on the Cervelo feel like I'm flying.
I was headin' back to Atlanta this weekend for Easter and was completely stoked to see 70-75 degree days ahead- this meant I could finally ride in full summer gear and not be frozen. So I called the local bike shop for a road rental (damn Delta Airlines for charging $179 each way to bring a bike) and packed my wetsuit in my luggage just in case. Saturday morning the family rode up to Seneca, SC to go out on the boat for awhile and I took the opportunity for an open water swim. While extremely brisk- 58-60 degree range- it only took about 5 minutes before I was warmed up and oblivious to the water. However, it was the first wetsuit (out of the pool) swim I've done this year and it was tiring. I'd swum 4,000 yds the day before and felt great so I wasn't expecting to hurt from a measly 30 minutes. The wetsuit/open water swim was a much needed slap-in-the=face but there isn't much i can do about it until it gets warmer.

Right after the swim, I took off on a 60 miler through the Blue Mountains. It was a great ride for climbing. The pic above is a distant shot of the foothills on my way home. Just can't wait for the warm weather to move a little further north...

No comments: