Monday, March 2, 2009

A Little Snow...with a Side of Humility

As Liz mentioned in her last post, we headed down to Atlanta to take care of some wedding stuff, including a wedding shower, and to see my family. We knew it would be a quick weekend and the weatherman said it would be crap conditions (and they're always right...30% of the time) so we were a little pessimistic on the amount of training that would get done, but we packed with the plan to get some sbr in.

Fortunately, my mom hooked us up with lots of healthy food options straight from the QT2 regimen, so we would at least have our nutrition in line. Still its never easy to have green tea and fresh fruit for dessert when there are lots of carbs nearby (I find there's less temptation when I call them carbs instead of chocolate cake or cookies).

After fueling up on Saturday morning, Liz took off to a dress fitting and my pops and I decided to run some errands. Since we didn't have a car, I was able to convince him to bike to REI which is 7 miles from their house. I knew the pace would be slow but was just very happy to get my dad out on the bike for awhile. About 5 miles into the ride I was getting a little anxious with our speed so I started occupying myself by swerving around the road and going no handed. The karma gods got their revenge when my phone rang. As I answered and started talking, I saw a tree in the middle of the sidewalk but missed the large curb right after it. As I went over the curb I tried to reach down for the handle bars but it was too late...I went straight over the top and ate some asphalt. I received some nice reminders of my stupidity in the form of bruises and road rash.

Afterwards, Liz and I met up at Chick-fil-A for our 1 cheat meal of the week. It was incredible!!! I haven't really had any craving since I started the diet a week ago but man was this good and it definitely helped in forgetting about my intro to the pavement.

So the warmer weather that we had hoped for were pretty much non-existent, in fact, we brought the cold temps down with us. Below is the scene on Sunday morning. Very unlike ATL to get snow but they got 3 inches, which means everyone panicked and all schools are closed a day later even though everything has melted (must be nice). We decided to follow the crowds and chalk the day up as a recovery day...

No comments: