Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Little Catch-up on Training















Today's supposed 60 degree, rainy day turned out being 65 and sunny...so instead of the trainer, I took advantage and went for a ride from our apartment to Potomac, MD. This was pretty much a variation of the ride we always do (just a bit shorter) since its the only safe ride out of the city and into some 'country-ish' roads. I followed up the ride (garmin data below) with a 30 minute brick run around the National Mall.

As for training as a whole, it's been going really well but fairly inconsistent. I'll be good about the diet, then splurge for 2 days. I'll do hard workouts 4 days in a row then miss 2 days. I now have a good base in my run/bike so lately its been adding more distance. My long runs are in the 12-14 mile range and my longest bike rides this year have been 56 miles. In another month I'll start adding some speed. In the meantime, I need to keep my momentum going and quit skipping workouts.

You probably noticed I left out swimming above. Every year I promise to focus on my swim and every year I procrastinate. This is the one leg of races that kills me time-wise...especially in shorter races. I've been averaging 1-2 swims per week but my effort has varied. To fix the problem, I signed up for a Masters swim course. I'll write another post on this later since I've only been through 2 practices but my first impressions are positive. I've gotten some advice on form and being forced to keep up with a group of swimmers prevents me from slacking off. I'm hoping to have a competitive (or at least average) swim time for my age group by TriRidgefield. I'll keep ya posted on how that's going...

3/19 Ride to Maryland
2/18 Ride to Maryland

No comments: